August 18, 2014

Let's Talk War....drobe

It has been nearly two weeks since I have posted on my blog.  I made a vow to myself that I would post at least once a week.. I guess I broke that vow.  Anyway, I wanted to discuss wardrobe. Is your closet classic and timeless, or trendy and urban?

I must first say that I adore men's fashion and style.  I love how a lot has evolved and changed in the course of years.  We have seen so many trends through out the last decade.  For example, in the recent year, we have seen the return of the 90's fashion.  That would include the Versace silk shirts, leather pants, doc marten boots/shoes, retro sneakers, snap backs, crew neck sweatshirts, plaid oxfords, and host of other retro fashion gear.  Also we see a huge trend in slim fit suits, blazers, and slacks in our GQ magazines.

All of these trends are great, however as broke college student, I am deeply concerned with budget and getting the most out of my money.  Don't get me wrong, I have a few of the trendy pieces in my closet, but the older I get I am becoming wiser to what my needs are in my wardrobe.  I always tend to ask, how classic is this piece?  10 to 20 years from now, will I be able to look at pictures and be satisfied with my look?  How many ways could I wear this without people noticing?

The saying is true, with age and time come maturity.  Last year, I was deeply focused on building a trendy and urban wardrobe.  I was on the hunt for more sweatshirts, leather joggers, jewelry, and sneakers.  Now I am more focused on building my classic wardrobe.  I realized this when I got ready to go to church on Sundays and had little to nothing to wear that I considered dressy outside of my work suits (which I hate wearing outside of work because of the wear and tear I put on them).  I began to focus on timeless pieces.  I remember asking my parents to purchase me a navy and charcoal suit.  Both suits were three piece Traveler suit separates from my job, Jos. A. Bank.  I decided to go that route because I felt that buying a separate would allow me the option to easily purchase another pair of pants if necessary since I tend to ruin crotches on pants with my huge thighs.  I also delighted in having the option to wear each suit with a vest or without a vest.  They both work well either way.

The next item was a pair of Johnston and Murphy double monk strap shoes.  I felt as if the double monk straps were very versatile, being able to sport them with a navy, light gray, tan, and olive suit.  My shoe game was starting to fall off badly since I had worn out my favorite pair of shoes which were a pair of Stafford brown wingtips from JC Penny.  I must say, I did get my money's worth from those.




Slowly but surely, my suit collection was growing, and my shoe collection was coming together.  I was starting to find clearance deals at my job for suits, so I was able to pick up a navy pinstripe and an olive pinstripe suit.

I believe the most versatile piece that I have purchased in the last year, was my navy blue double breasted blazer.  At first, it was not my intention for it to replace my thrifted navy blazer, but somewhere along the line, it crept in and became a staple in my wardrobe.  Of course it works just as the traditional navy blazer, despite the button placement.  So I need not to explain how many varieties of shirts and slacks I am able to wear with it.  I'll just show you.



In addition to the above, I've purchased more dress shirts, mainly blues, I tend to like the way blue shirts work with my wardrobe, also I have added a couple more ties, lapel flowers, pocket squares and watches to the wardrobe.  

Looking ahead, I am still currently building my timeless wardrobe, and with autumn soon to arrive, I have a few pieces in mind that will complete my closet until the next season.  I would like to add a cashmere sweater, a merino wool sweater, a couple pair of dress slacks, a cashmere scarf, a camel color top coat and a camel hair blazer that I could use with various outfits, because I get a feeling that this winter will be harsh.  

As far as my trendy, and urban apparel, I will still hold on to it.  Every now and then I feel a bit edgy and wanna step outside my comfort zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best of AGW